Sunday, January 16, 2011

36mg Concerta

Last Monday, I called my doctor and we discussed the med-free insomnia. He was a little perplexed. We agreed that I shouldn't start anything else until the problem resolved itself. He suggested I take 3mg of melatonin around 8pm, and I was to call him if it hadn't gotten better by the end of the week.

 I don't know whether it was the melatonin or not, but on Monday night it improved considerably, and on Tuesday night I slept like the proverbial log. It must have taken less than 5 minutes to fall asleep, and I remember nothing else before waking up in the morning. So, good news.

It turns out that neither the kind of insomnia I was experiencing nor the improvement after a week should be that much of a surprise. I looked up some research on amphetamine withdrawal, and very light, disrupted sleep is a nearly universal withdrawal symptom. One of the papers also found that most of their subjects recovered from the worst acute withdrawal symptoms after about one week.

Of course, the real question is: why would those symptoms start when I was still taking my meds? I see two possibilities:
  1. I was going through withdrawal at night after my daily dose wore off. This might make more sense for my experience on 50mg Vyvanse than it does for 30mg Vyvanse.
  2. When it started on the weekend it was withdrawal from the higher doses I was taking during the week when I supplemented during work hours with dexedrine.
A combination of these things is also possible. It may have been mostly #1 while on 50mg, and a combination of #1 and #2 while taking 30mg on the weekend. Of course, once I dropped the meds entirely it would have been just regular withdrawal.

There are many outstanding questions here. One of the most central for me is: Why am I so sensitive to amphetamines to experience withdrawal on such a low dose? My effective daily dose was only ~20mg Dexedrine. The subjects studied in the papers were taking 5-10 times that much. It is unlikely that I'll every really know the answer.

The question now is: Will I experience fewer problems on methylphenidate? The experiment we're running to find out is the only one possible: Try methylphenidate and see what happens. On Wednesday, sleep problems resolved, I started 18mg Concerta. Didn't really notice any effects, positive or negative. Maybe a little more awake without any need for caffeine, but that's it. No insomnia.

Today I went up to 36mg as instructed by my doctor when he gave me the prescription. Still not noticing much of anything, but I am feeling nicely awake and alert. So, that's good.

We'll see how work goes tomorrow. I'll call my doctor to consult. I imagine if I have no negative side effects he will put me up to 54mg on Wednesday. I'm fine with moving that quickly now; I think I'm better at assessing positive work effects now that I have more experience with the ups and downs of the meds. It may depend on how I feel today and tomorrow, though. Maybe if I feel like I'm getting some good help on 36mg I'll wait a little longer.

I looked up rough equivalences between Concerta and Ritalin, and Ritalin and Dexedrine. Concerta is equivalent to approximaetly 2/3 of the same daily dose of Ritalin (not all of the medication is released from the Concerta delivery vehicle). Ritalin, in turn, is equivalent to about 1/2 of the same daily dose of Dexedrine. Put that all together, and Concerta is approximately equivalent to 1/3 of the same daily dose of Dexedrine. So 36mg Concerta ~= 12mg Dexedrine.

Now, a given mass of Vyvanse is equivalent to a little over 1/3 of the same daily dose of Dexedrine:  30mg Vyvanse ~= 12mg Dexedrine. So it turns out that today's Concerta dose is about the same as my previous usual Vyvanse dose. Not surprising, then, if it is mostly making me feel more awake.

In any case, it is useful that Concerta turns out to be only a little less potent than Vyvanse mass-for-mass. It will make it easier to compare results vs. my Vyvanse experience.

Going up to 54mg Concerta will be the real test. That will be nearly exactly the Vyvanse dose at which I started to feel more jittery than focused, and at which I started to have sleep problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment